http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,99024,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuen_Woo-ping
So, when I was watching the credits to Kill Bill, I noticed for the first time that the fight scenes were choreographed by Yuen Wo-Ping, the **legendary** martial-artist, director, and action choreographer/fight director. He's responsible for Jackie Chan's fight scenes in Drunken Master and the wire and pulley acrobatics in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,
the Matrix,
both Kill Bill films, Kung Fu Hustle,
and Ninja Assassin, to name a few. No wonder the fight styles in these films seem familiar...
No Wonder!
ReplyDeleteAlthough they are all directed by the same person, I do feel like each film has its own action personality.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon:
Traditional Chinese kung-fu film. Lots of usage of wire and pulley acrobatics. Realistic besides the ability to defy gravity.
The Matrix:
A good combination of the realistic and fantastic.
Kung Fu Hustle:
Fantastical Chinese kung-fu flick where people have extraordinary powers.
Just my two cents.
Actually, even realizing this, I agree with the previous post that much of the action scenes between the movies are quite different. Crouching tiger relied more on fantasy fighting than the other three. Kill Bill's fighting was a lot more down to earth, despite the huge spouting blood, and was much slower at times. The Matrix focused more on slow down scenes and Kung Fu Hustle was kind of an in between Kill Bill and Crouching Tiger.
ReplyDelete